O level ENGLISH LANGUAGE Past paper
O level ENGLISH LANGUAGE Past paper 2017
Cambridge International Examinations
Cambridge Ordinary Level
ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1123/11
Paper 1 Writing May/June 2017
No Additional Materials are required 1 hour 30 minutes
READ THESE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST
An answer booklet is provided inside this question paper. You should follow the instructions on the front cover
of the answer booklet. If you need additional answer paper ask the invigilator for a continuation booklet.
NB: Remember that Section 1 and Section 2 of this paper are worth the same number of marks, so you should
divide your time carefully between them.
Answer both Section 1 and Section 2.
Section 1: Directed Writing
You are advised to write between 200 and 300 words. Total marks for this part: 30.
- A very popular teacher at your school is leaving after a long and successful career. The staff,
Students and parents are going to celebrate the teacher’s career at a ceremony where the Principal
will make a thank-you speech. The Principal asks you to write a report which gives information for
the thank-you speech. The Principal also wants suggestions from you for what else to include in
Write your report. You must include the following:
- the name of the teacher and an outline of the teacher’s career
- examples of what has made the teacher so popular and successful with students
- what events the students think should be included in the ceremony and why.
Cover all three points above in detail. You should make sure your report is polite and informative.
Start your report ‘To the Principal’ and remember to supply a signature and date.
[O level ENGLISH LANGUAGE Past paper]
Section 2: Creative Writing
Begin your answer on a fresh page.
Write on one of the following topics.
At the head of your essay put the number of the topic you have chosen.
You are advised to write between 350 and 500 words. Total marks for this part: 30.
- Describe the scene before and during an important celebration in your community. (Remember
you can describe the atmosphere, the surroundings and the people.)
- What is the best advice that anyone has ever given you and what is the worst advice? Explain how
each piece of advice affected you.
4.Write a story which includes the sentence: ‘It suddenly became clear that they were not as lazy as
everyone said they were.’
- Write a story in which a locked door plays an important part.
download O level ENGLISH LANGUAGE Past paper in pdf